Monday, September 26, 2005

Motion Control comes to AngryPuppet!

It's amazing that in the chaos of trying to make my own film, sometimes things just work out. Every once in awhile it seems like things just come to me at the right moment. Enter the motion-control mad scientist- Dick Kaneshiro! I met Dick recently when he decided to dedicate much of his free time to interning on Moral Orel. Dick works in sound recording, but is a closet stop-motionist who has many talents. This guy actually managed to piece together his own motion-control rig and he figured out how to control it using modified Director software on a PC. While I am a big fan of "hand-mo", manual camera moves, I couldn't turn down the opportunity to have some super-smooth moco in my film!

When I was setting up for this shot, I found one more big negative about the CD-R based camera I am using. Since I built the set on its side, the camera would have to be on its side, and for some reason it can't record images to the little CD-R unless it is right side up. I thought I was going to have to borrow another camera, but Dick solved this problem by building an extra step into the moco move. After each exposure is triggered manually, the camera rotates 90-degrees to let the camera save, pauses five seconds, and the rotates back and moves to the next increment. See the action here:

motion control rig movie (4.8mb)

Dick didn't want to be pictured on my blog- so here is a representative blur:


4 Comments:

Blogger Tennessee Reid said...

Dude,

I could use Dick on the political cartoon! AND Dick Private!

SOOOOOOO sweet to see such a compact rig. The moco at the studio is an old mitchell set up HUGE and BULKY = YUK

Dick if you read this please give me a call.

-T

8:08 AM  
Blogger Ethan said...

Hey! I'm not done with my shots yet T!

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heekyung - Hi Ethan, I dont know you remember me, but I was one of interns in the first episode of Robot Chicken. I saw your demo reel at that time and remember this animation project from it. If you don't mind, I would love to visit where you make the animation. It looks so great!!!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Ethan said...

Hi Heekyung- Email me at ethan@angrypuppetfilms and we'll see if we can't set something up. Thank you for your kind words!

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home