Thursday, May 12, 2005

Seeing the light

I've never had the gear that I need. Everytime I get going on a setup for my film, I've had to ask around to try and find lights and grip gear to borrow. This time I wasn't getting anywhere, so I today I bit the bullet and bought some stuff of my own. I found a place out in Burbank that makes a really nice knock-off of the Mole-Richardson "Mini-mole". It's a 200w focusable light that comes with four-way barn doors. They were much cheaper than the Mini-moles sell for, so I went out there and bought four. I never feel great about spending more money on this film, but you just can't get anything done without lights. Of course, as luck would have it, as soon as I got them home I managed to break one of the glass fresnel lenses. Looks like I'll be making one more run out to Pyramid Films.

Here's the new lights:



Even with the broken lens I was able to get the old containment tower set lit. It was tricky since I was matching to a setup from two years ago. It's not perfect but I don't think you will notice the differences. The photo below is just a quick snap to show the setup.



Got a call from my friend/stop-mo brother Mark Cabellero tonight. He generously offered to help me with the foam latex for the new casting of Chemical Kid, so hopefully I'll have a new puppet within a week or so!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home