Wednesday, May 11, 2005

The Superpower behind Chemical Kid

I've been lucky enough to meet and work with some amazing artists over the years. Back on my first job at Danger Productions, I met Mike Murnane. Mike is a super-talented designer/sculptor/painter/all-around great guy who has designed characters for the latest Star Wars episodes among other things . He's one of my best pals, and years ago he agreed to help me out with character design and sculpts for my film. Basically I just give him a paragraph or two describing the character, maybe a cruddy sketch of my own to look at and then Mike takes over. Chemical Kid is as much Mike's as he is mine. Here's a picture of the original clay sculpt:



Mike is also responsible for inspiring the other main character in my film "Brawl Magnet". Years back at one of the epic Super Hero Parties in San Francisco, Mike came dressed as this magnetic red behemoth. I couldn't get the character out of my head, and now Mike has designed a puppet based on the costume. Check out the costume and rough design sketch:




I'll post more about the Brawl Magnet as that puppet get's built.

Do yourself a favor and check out more of Mike's art and design at The SuperAdvanced. You can even buy resin castings of some of his sculpts!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home